If you have a firearm in your vehicle, you need to ensure that you present it in a non-confrontational, peaceful manner. Here are some tips to help you handle the situation calmly:
- Make sure that you carry your firearm licence and competency certificate with you at all times.
- You will need to verbally confirm your ID number and, if you can remember it, your gun’s serial number.
- You will need to tell the officer exactly where you keep the gun in the car.
- If the officer requests to see the firearm, allow them to open and inspect your car.
- If you carry the gun on your person, ask for permission to reach for it.
- Answer all questions calmly.
- Do not point the gun at anyone, or make any jerky or erratic movements. Do everything slowly, with utmost confidence and respect.
- Do not, under any circumstances, discharge the weapon.